Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Friday, August 20, 2010

Time To 'Beer' Down!

This could be my favorite title yet! .... While I was working I didn't have time, or at least choose to participate in a growing popular pastime .... frequenting 'Micro Breweries' !  Friends of mine have been telling me for a while, how they have really enjoyed visiting various breweries in different locations, and getting into the nuances of the art of beer tasting .... Having been a college student during the sixties, I thought I new all about beer .... Heck, I can do better than that .... my grandparents owned a bar back in western Pennsylvania .... that alone should automatically qualify me as an expert! .... But not so fast .... this is way beyond pulling a draft tap .... uncapping a bottle .... or popping a top on a can .... this is a highly refined eloquently explained and deliciously delivered experience .... it's tasting at its finest!  I'm learning that beer tasting is becoming as popular as wine-tasting .... and the cool thing is you don't have to wait for anything to ripen on a vine .... or be affected by the weather .... you just need to be patient and allow natural fermentation ..... and .... presto .... Tap A Keg!  There are thousands of Micro Breweries scattered around the country and all have unique ways of delivering their goods.  My recent experience was in San Diego at the Karl Strauss Brewery,  and at an event they call  'Cask Nite' ! .... First let me say .... I really enjoyed the appetizers, and the food menu was outstanding .... very yummy ....  my beer choices were pretty good too .... but my Cask Nite experience was interesting .... The way this process works is that at certain times during the month, the brewery announces they are going to 'Tap a Keg' of one of their Brew-master's concoction of unusual ingredients .... could be anything from lavender pedals to coriander .... whatever.  Everyone gathers .... they pick a time .... grab a wooden mallet .... and .... after a ceremonial count down by all present .... whapp .... a keg is tapped! Samples are available for all with the hope that this will become the next most popular flavor and huge best seller.  As always, the aficionados ooh and ah about the body .... color .... aroma .... and of course taste .... But the proof of success remains in the ultimate testimonial .... will anyone buy it? .... Some will .... but others think of it as interesting and fun ....  preferring to stick with their personal favorites.  So there you have it .... 'Cask Nite' .... good food .... good fun .... great friends! .... Oh yeah, the beer .... it was flavored with coriander and lavender .... and as far as my inexperienced pallet determined .... tasted a little soapy! .... Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment