Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Friday, August 13, 2010

The 'Chase' Is On!

In my last post I talked about two things that happened to me within a 24 hour period of time that reminded me what working and being is all about. The second epiphany .... occurred at one of my favorite morning coffee shops .... Panera Bread .... with people who were still working and others also retired. As usual there were several of the regulars sitting around their previously designated location within the establishment. By the way, this is a great place to solve all the problems of the .... world .... country .... state .... family .... an Universe! I received my order and listened intently to a question asked by one participant that dealt with Chevy Chase .... Okay, before I go any further I need to ask YOU if you know anything about Chevy Chase. Before you answer check out these two links .... first .... Chevy Chase  .... and then of course this link .... Chevy Chase ! Alright tell the truth, how many of you new this before you looked it up .... come on be honest .... okay I thought so. Don't feel bad because this is truly the point to this scenario .... none of the philosophers sitting around the table new the answer .... along with several other patrons in the establishment ....  and they were using computers to get started on their days work! Here it is .... there was an article in the local paper quoting something Israeli Prime Minister,  Binyamin Netanyahu  said to a former U.S. diplomat .... he said, "You live in Chevy Chase. Don't play with our future." .... They were perplexed by the comment because the only Chevy Chase they new of was the actor/comedian, and they wondered why a world leader was basing international politics on a character who was best known for his edgy slapstick comedy. Having sat there for several minutes, the teacher in me took over and I chimed in to inform my peers that the comparison was between a bedroom community outside Washington, D.C. and the dangerous and tense geography of the Middle East. So there you have it .... teaching is an on going job .... whether I want to or not .... It's Automatic! Before I left, I Googled Chevy Chase, MD. on my Motorola Droid and showed them a picture .... it was a good thing! I think I'll go back there soon .... the conversation is quite stimulating ..... and rewarding!

No comments:

Post a Comment