Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Friday, August 6, 2010

So Many Time, So Little Things!

Yes, you read that title right .... early retirement feels like that. Admittedly, recent developments have changed my slant on this phase. Follow me through on this .... I had just made the final decision to .... send in the paperwork .... and I was walking by the full length mirror in my cozy but crowded bedroom, and I noticed what I thought was another person standing there! Opps ..... that wasn't another person, it was more of me than I had noticed before. See .... I figure it was the fact that I was busy working .... and I hadn't paid much attention to what had become of me .... ALL OF ME! Here's the deal .... I'm retiring .... but I have let myself reach an unhealthy phisical state. If I was going to have a chance to survive this great new unknown challenge .... I needed to address this problem quickly. The first step I took was to purchase a brand new 21 speed .... wonderfully designed .... sexy Trek bicycle. This was going to be my method of attack on a body that had become bigger .... and close to replacing Pluto as a planet in our Solar System! Great idea .... great bike .... good start .... but more was needed. I needed someone to keep me focused and encourage me with a gentle nudge .... or more! Through the help of some friends, I found what was to be a perfect fit for my Oddesy. Unlike Homer's , I needed mine to work a lot faster. So I did what any good natured .... larger than life .... out of shape .... sixty year old retiree would do .... I hired a Personal Trainer! Yes .... I did it .... I signed up for a gym membership at Anytime Fitness, and secured my version of pain and agony in my very own personal trainer. It's what I needed and what has helped me progress through the early stages of retirement. It's working .... and it's hard .... but a 'journey of a thousand miles begins with a first step.' I'll share more in future posts about the highs and lows. Until then .... I'll be sweating it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment