Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fish, Fish, Make A Wish!

I'm finding time in this retirement thing to pursue more of my unusual quests .... for instance to find the country's best fish sandwich! .... I'm not sure the Earl of Sandwich, the 18th century statesman who is generally associated with the culinary treat, would find my quest interesting though? ....  But here's the thing .... yesterday with my continued stay on California's beautiful southern coast .... the thought occurred to me that not once during the week had I pleasured my pallet with fish! .... As I was driving north along the ocean .... the craving began to overtake me and I needed a fish sandwich! .... But where could I find one .... I mean the PERFECT ONE?   Surely along this beautiful stretch of landscape there must be something .... someplace .... that would meet my needs! .... The problem though, was there were too many choices .... restaurant after restaurant passed by .... through beach cities like .... Del Mar ....  Cardiff By the Sea .... Solana Beach .... Encinitas .... but which one would have the best .... the perfect sandwich?  By the time I decided, I realized I had driven all the way to Carlsbad .... I've stayed there quite a few times and remembered seeing a restaurant called Jay's Gourmet Pizza and Seafood, .... perfect, I'll stop there .... they've got to have a fish sandwich! .... Whoops! .... when I checked the menu I couldn't find a fish sandwich .... there were many seafood dishes available both lunch and dinner .... but no FISH SANDWICH! .... total disappointment .... what now?  Just then, Jenna, a very pleasant employee approached me ....  I explained to her that I was really hoping to get a fish sandwich .... the reason she explained that one was not on the menu, was because none of their food was fried! .... She said that maybe they could create one for me .... I thought,  that'll work! .... She asked what kind of fish I wanted and I told her to pick one ....  her choice was Halibut. .... I ask for fries and she reminded me that they don't fry anything .... so instead, I had a bowl of clam chowder, ( which by the way was excellent) .... Finally, my special creation arrived and looked terrific .... it was grilled .... placed on a large focaccio roll .... topped with lettuce and tomato .... and was huge! .... The first bite told me that this was a great choice .... the fish was cooked to perfection and the warm roll melted in my mouth .... they did well! .... As I said, this sandwich was huge .... but I finished it! .... I have eaten fish sandwiches in many places around the country .... some really great ones ..... but I have to say that this truly was one of the best I've had yet! .... I'll keep looking now that I'm retired .... but this one's going to be hard to top!

No comments:

Post a Comment