Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Thursday, August 12, 2010

It's Working!

Okay .... this is really cool .... some of the things that I have talked about in my previous posts are starting to make sense .... at least to me .... and soon others! As the 18th century moralist Joseph Joubert wrote, .... 'To Teach Is To Learn Twice',  this holds true in everything we do .... that is why for 15 years in my classroom I posted this on my wall .... not to impress my students, but to remind me that I didn't have all the answers, and that I was always learning .... especially when I share with others. So how does all this relate to retirement? Like this .... I HAVE JUST REALIZED THAT YOU MAY NOT BE REPORTING TO WORK EVERYDAY, BUT YOU ARE REPORTING TO LIFE EVERYDAY. Therefore, the shear interpersonal relationships offer many teaching moments .... and most importantly .... learning moments. Twice in the past 24 hours things have presented themselves allowing for those kind of moments! First .... having dinner with friends, the discussion was centered around the art of photography and the need for equipment that would satisfy specific goals as it relates to .... picture quality .... ease of operation .... convenience .... expense, both time and money .... and finally .... ultimate personal comfort. My personal photography experiences cover 30 years, from 35 mm film to more recently digital video and still photos. My latest camera of choice has been a Cannon Rebel Xsi  with a standard lens and a 75-300 telephoto. So I recommended they purchase one. To me this camera would do all that I needed and then some and was relatively easy to use with outstanding results. I tried my best to convince my audience that they could do this and to not give up .... "It'll get easier and you'll love it" I said. But, this is the point .... all of the basics I outlined were in place, except that people need to find their comfort level and take a path that enhances their goals .... anything less is stifling to the natural thirst for self fulfillment. If the same can be accomplished by a lesser means, then as that other great philosopher said .... 'Just Do It' ! My second epiphany happened at the coffee shop and I'll tell you about that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment