Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Paradise Lost!

Okay .... maybe not to the extent  John Milton's 'Paradise Lost' referred to in the 17th century poem .... but paradoxically  to what's happening in my world.   Milton's poem has strong biblical implications and closely aligns with the story of Adam and Eve! .... But goes even further to develop tie ins to other forms of religion and worship throughout civilization! .... Ultimately it's the original story of good versus evil .... but Milton's twist is that the villain .... or evil ....( Satan in this setting ).... is not that bad a character! .... So how is this a paradox for me? .... Simple, for many reasons most of us are judged on how our life's turn out.   We usually are perceived and evaluated based on our body of work .... which includes but is not limited to our relationships and accomplishments! .... Example, a quote from Milton's work states that ' It is better to rein in Hell than serve in Heaven.' .... Now remember that when Milton wrote this .... modern psychology was still more than 200 years in the future ....  Freud and Skinner  .... were still in waiting! .... It doesn't matter how often  that what I perceive to be a good deed .... an altruistic gesture .... goes unnoticed and overlooked .... it only matters what the final score is! .... I don't know who keeps score on this stuff .... maybe no one .... never the less, it still affects me and how I will proceed to rule the rest of my life! .... If I'm the only one that sees benefits in what I am doing .... while others believe that what I am doing places me in my own personal 'Hell' .... then so be it! ....  Once again ...  maybe Milton was right? .... ' It is better to rein in Hell than to serve in Heaven!'

No comments:

Post a Comment