Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Changing The Rules .... Or Enforcing Them?

In case you haven't noticed, many of my post are analogies of some thing or someone in sports! .... Let's face it .... I Love Sports! .... Not just the game but the psychology, intricacies, and nuances of the games.  I consider myself a true sports freak because I am versed in all sports and pride myself in knowing most all rules of all sports .... even obscure sports like field hockey .... squash .... lacrosse ....even water polo! .... Although I must admit that I still haven't figured out how they get those horses to hold their breath under water! .... All right I kid! .... But seriously, water polo is a very physically demanding sport, and considering that I'm not exactly 'Aquaman' when it comes to the water, I have great respect for anyone that plays! ....  As I told my students many times when I was teaching, don't just be a fan, be an enthusiast! .... Understand the rules and appreciate all sports! .... A true sports fan makes it a point to know the rules to help enjoy what you are watching! .... You will be better prepared  and appreciate the strategies imposed by coaches, managers, and players! .... A perfect example of what I am talking about is never more relevant than right now with all the talk and controversy involving the NFL .... and the focus on illegal hits and safety issues of players! .... As a fan, if you don't know at least the basics of the rule that applies to this topic, you may become someone that looses interest, and listen only to the opinion of others and make those opinions yours! ....  There is hardly a person .... sports fan or not  .... that hasn't watched television or viewed a web page this week, and have seen displayed the hits by .... Brandon Meriweather .... James Harrison .... and Dunta Robinson  .... in NFL games this past weekend! .... So here's the issue with all of this! .... Is the NFL really trying to make the game safer and prevent some catastrophic unthinkable injury, or are they just covering their butts? .... As a true sports fan you need to know .... Rule 12 ....  and how it covers 'Helmet to Helmet 'hits! .... Then, as an knowledgeable fan, you will be part of the solution, by formulating your own opinion .... instead of relying on others! ....  From this Sunday forward .... games .... plays .... players .... teams .... and outcomes .... will be dramatically different from what we have been accustomed! .... You know, the funny thing here is how closely sports mirror life! .... So what is the .... 'Rule 12' of life ? ....  The  'Helmet to Helmet' hit! .... Whatever it is ....  I'm going to make sure that I  understand and know it as best I can ....  to judge wisely what I see .... as I see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment