Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Friday, October 8, 2010

Life As We Know It!

You may have noticed that I have not posted as much in recent weeks .... that may have something to do with today's topic! .... For years scientists have insisted that they have not identified life anywhere in the universe, and a term they frequently use is .... 'As We Know It!' .... I've been thinking about this and coincidentally heard the term used recently in a commercial for a new movie .... Life As We Know It  .... being released in a couple of days.  This is a perfect term for anyone that has gone through stuff .... retirement .... relationships .... friendships .... and generally any other changes! .... The point here is that change is not all bad .... scary .... but not bad .... just different! .... And when you come to grips with the reality of it, it can be therapeutic! .... The down side is that some parts of your life that you grow accustomed to are no longer available for you to use as a safety net and comfort zone! .... It's a mechanism we have in place and use .... that both protects us and hinders us.  In my case many things have changed for me since I turned .... dare I say ....  'SIXTY'! .... And of course retirement ....  has proven to be extremely more difficult to adjust to than I thought! .... Aside from that though, surprisingly, friendships have been altered! .... At first glance I integrated the two and made them symbiotic with resolution and conciliation! .... Not the right approach .... A better approach is to reflect back on the affects and derive a process in which I garner wisdom to accept and glean peace and tranquility! .... You see this is just another piece to a very intricate puzzle that we call life! .... I am beginning to understand that my new life is different from the way I understood my old one! .... In my classroom on the front wall, I posted a quote by legendary Indiana University and Texas Tech basketball coach .... Bobby Knight .... He said, " The will to win is not as important as the will to prepare to win." .... and as I told my students many times, they need to work hard, stay focused .... realize that working hard is more important than raw talent .... if you want to succeed! .... The same can be said for ultimately adjusting to life's course changes .... I need .... 'to prepare to win' .... at this new life challenge! .... I need to realize that ...."Life As I Knew It" .... has changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment