Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Results May Vary!

What a great statement! .... If you use this phrase you can pretty much cover your a _ _ for anything you do when it doesn't work out! .... But what does this really mean? .... I'm sure that no one sets out to almost accomplish what they want .... even-though the companies that rely heavily on this phrase have no qualms about taking your money! .... Diet and Pharmaceutical companies are notorious for placing this statement in their adds. .... But for me it has a less sinister meaning! .... I understand it to mean that I am free to experiment and enjoy opportunities that if I take the safe approach I might miss out on something wonderful .... Still, knowing this, instilled caution sometimes prevents me from venturing forward and just let things happen! .... To help me get a better grip on this imperfection, I need to relate life to a sporting analogy .... Here are the facts! .... Countless times in team sports the most talented team with the best players .... highest salaries .... extensive media coverage .... end up underachieving! .... Many reasons are scrutinized .... rationalized .... and publicized .... but ultimately something really simple is the culprit! .... ATTITUDE .... that's right attitude of the players involved .... George Allen .... the legendary Washington Redskins coach .... once commented about an extremely gifted running back that had all the tools to be a Hall of Fame player .... but had issues with authority and following the rules! .... He replied when asked by a reporter as to his opinion on how great a career this individual might enjoy .... 'Talent is not enough!' .... From the first time I heard this I have tried to understand and incorporate this in my youth coaching and then in my classroom when dealing with students that were talented but sometimes were difficult to deal with because they were talented! .... I learned that patience and understanding for these individuals was the best elixir .... along with a strong firm hand of discipline! .... So my point is that having known this for years and understanding how to use it to help others, I forgot that this may now apply to me! .... Doing and saying all the right things .... expecting that I had all the answers .... not allowing room to try different things .... is critical during the change from working to retiring! .... I realize now that I truly need to accept the idea that .... Results May Vary!

No comments:

Post a Comment