Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Most Famous Retiree In The World!

It's appropriate that today is the first full day schedule of the 2010 NFL season .... Why? .... Because the most famous retiree in the world .... Bret Farve .... Quarterback for the  Minnesota Vikings .... is an intriguing part of that organization! .... And ....  he has retired and unretired more than Charlie Sheen escapes prosecution! .... But see.... Bret does it the right way .... he keeps getting more money and having to work less! .... I wish I could do that .... miss training camp .... have people hang on my every move .... make mistakes and others take the blame for me! .... I need that kind of love! .... Recently .... CALSTRS .... sent a flyer explaining the procedure that needed to be followed if you were considering unretiring! .... I was shocked that was even a realistic possibility! .... Understand this .... I'm not planning to .... UNRETIRE .... but I am intrigued and empowered by the possibility! .... Flattered would be a better term! .... My concern is that maybe, like Bret, if I do come out of retirement .... how effective could I be? .... My recent volunteer assignment with kindergardeners is proving ....  that when you first comeback the energy and enthusiasm is there .... but after the daily routine sets in .... the stamina and old instincts seemed to have deteriorated to the point that each day gets tougher doing the job! .... Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the opportunity to be in my comfort zone and ease into full retirement .... but it's also nice to know that if it gets too tough, I can just walk away! .... Now let's look at what that really means .... to do that we need to look at Farve's latest unretirement adventure! .... It occurred during a nationally broadcast game against the World Champion New Orleans Saints thursday night! .... I, like most sports fans, am fascinated by a forty-one year grandfather ....  who can play competitively with youngsters half his age. .... As I watched the game I couldn't help to notice that .... in my opinion .... there was something missing this time from Bret's game! .... It seemed as though, that famous fire .... passion .... and love of the game was missing! .... And, I for one know that when you loose the drive to be the best .... it's over! .... Maybe the remaining fifteen games will contradict or prove wrong what appears to be a reality! .... There finally comes a time when you can't let others influence what you know to be best for you! ....  Remember and reflect back on everything you have accomplished .... then enjoy and accept the next great adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Hey.....disappointed, mentioning the NFL season and not a word of the STEELERS!! What's up with that?? Steve was not impressed with the quarterback choice. Time will tell. GO STEELERS!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete