Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

You Don't Wear White After Labor Day!

And I say .... "Why Not?" .... Ever since I can remember, I was told that after labor day you couldn't wear white! .... Shoes .... Pants .... Straw Hats .... Underwear! .... Not really underwear .... I just threw that in to poke a little fun at a tradition that needs to go away! .... Yeah, it's time we come up with something new .... Something like you can't eat hamburgers on Monday's after Thanksgiving! .... Or how about .... You can't drive black cars on Sundays after Halloween! .... See how ridiculous this is? .... When I lived back east, I thought that you didn't wear white because the weather was turning colder and with it, the .... rain .... snow .... and slush .... might ruin your pretty white outfit! .... That turned out to be only partially right! ....  When I moved to Sunny Southern California .... I thought that I would never be faced with this dilemma again .... but I was wrong! .... Not to long ago I was reminded by one of my friends when he saw me wearing a pair of white shoes in November ....  that I had just created one of the greatest  Fashion Faux Pas of the year! .... He scolded me for .... 'Wearing White' after labor day! .... I was horrified! .... What will happen to me? .... Will I be banned from shopping on Rodeo Drive? .... Will I be forbidden to attend the Grammy Awards? .... or worse .... Will  Ralph Lauren  reposes all my 'Polo'  products? .... Probably not! .... See .... it turns out that this ridiculous tradition has come under close scrutiny from others, and it seems as though that it is time for it to go! .... The reasons given for its emergence .... in addition to the middle class tradition set throughout the 50's and 60's .... the "no white after labor day rule"....  which became as important as chicken pot pie and drive-in movies .... as a way to assert their new found social status .... were the following ....   (1) 'An arbitrary way for the nouveau riche to assert their status by crafting a complex social code .... and .... (2) The fashion-industry's conspiracy to force you into buying fall clothes.' .... So there it is, finally an explanation! .... Okay then .... who's with me? .... Post a comment and let me know what your thoughts are on  .... 'Wearing White After Labor Day ' !

No comments:

Post a Comment