Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Who among us have not experienced these famous words .... "Are We There Yet?" .... I'm sure most of us with kids have! ....  I am convinced that this question is no longer for kids bouncing around in the back seat of the family station wagon .... or mini van .... It has now become a battle cry for me! .... I keep thinking that each new day will provide me with a message divinely delivered! .... The message would include directions to peace of mind and understanding as to how long it'll take to get to a place where I enjoy everything .... without feeling anxiety of separation from the work force! .... Some of my friends have a hard time understanding why I can't relax and get on with 'it' .... whatever 'it' is! .... Let's think about this for a minute .... the .... 'it' .... becomes the destination .... and just like those kids in the back seat, I get tired of the ride and loose patience! .... But this is the irony of retirement .... there's more time .... actually more time than you need .... but not enough time to get clarity and understanding to accept and appreciate the .... 'it' .... I get impatient .... anxious ....  and want to get there now .... just like the kids! .... My problem is .... it's not the same as the kids riding along in the back seat! .... The difference is .... I'm driving and control .... where .... when .... and how long ....  it'll take to get to  .... 'it' ! .... So the message to me is to sit back .... relax .... checkout the scenery and stop asking .... "Are We There Yet!"

No comments:

Post a Comment