Retirement....A Lot Of Work!

That's right!  RETIREMENT .... It's really a lot of work .... and stressful!   Whoever said, more time is what everyone needs?  When that long awaited fabulous day arrives, we're just not ready! .... I recently retired from a successful career in teaching, ..... a little before I had planned, .... but never the less was adjusting nicely to the idea! .... A few months in, and I'm finding this a bigger challenge than facing a classroom full of middle schoolers and their .... "It's All About Me" attitudes! .... So I decided to write about some off my 'Post Retirement' adventures .... Maybe through my experiences you'll be more aware of the pros and cons of this lifestyle .... and a little more prepared than I was! 

Monday, August 28, 2017

What If You Could Unretire From Rertirement? by Ron Salandro

      Oh my,  It's been a while since I posted, but.....I'M BACK!  The fall, what an interesting time of year.  When I was teaching, it was a time for great anticipation, a sense of anxiety and a brief twinge of panic about the coming year.  Well, it has been eight years since I have experienced those feelings.  That's right .... eight tears since I retired from teaching.  So it makes perfect sense that this time of year stirs up those old juices .... you know, the ones that sometimes makes us wish that we were still doing things we loved the most.  Now wait, before you start thinking that I'm off the rails here, I'm just saying,  I miss a part of that dynamic.  Listen, I realize that I probably would find everything about the job of teaching now, to be tremendously different and challenging  from the day I hung up my dry board erasers.  Still, there's a part of me that longs for that challenge of the classroom environment, and all that it offers.
   
     Okay, now that I have stated my feelings, I was just wondering what if  there were some magic beans available that would allow me to, just temporarily .... unretire, and explore the days of old once again.  Now mind you, I would still want the option of cancelling this whole deal, without any consequences to me or my current situation.  Right about now, if you're still with me on this, you have to be thinking, 'Yeah, he's crazy!  Nope, I don't think so .... we have "do overs" all the time.  Instant replays in sports, second chances with relationships, grace periods for mortgages, just to mention a few.  So to me it makes perfect sense to have a retirement "do over"! Right?  Look, I'm not saying this is what all retirees feel or want, but for the ones, like myself, this would be an awesome experiment.

    So, summing up this fantasy experiment, let's review.  First, we work hard all our life at a job, and as we grow older, our energizes dissipate.  Therefore, we began to plan, anticipate, and look forward to the day we can retire.  And for the most  part, it's one of the very special times in our lifetime.  There are so many things to look forward to when the time comes for the responsibility of having to be somewhere everyday has now been removed.  Don't get me wrong, 'Retirement' is necessary, rewarding, and for the most part, is a  welcomed financially and emotionally.  But what if, at least for some of us the chance to 'Unretire', and once again stir those juices?

No comments:

Post a Comment